Development is about to continue

Yet another little status update
September 27, 2015
VisualBug Alpha Logo Development is about to continue | Development
VisualBug Alpha soon to be released
February 23, 2016

Development is about to continue

It’s been quite some time but now development finally continues. A little bit slower though. TKMap was put on hold because it had major issues with it’s repository implementation. It just hasn’t worked out. Even using a professional solution didn’t fix the problem in time (although I’m sure it will soon enough). Development became slow and a little demotivating. With problems piling up the idea of VisualBug started. A first approach worked fine but had too many references. It would have been a pain to remove those after development. Moreover it wouldn’t be all too bad having debugging utilities integrated considering that TKMap is intended to be not just a end-user program but a development platform as well (in it’s very own way).

It took longer than expected getting VisualBug in a state which can be used for production. And sadly it still hasn’t reached this point. Missing time throughout the summer and at the end of the year made it difficult to develop VisualBug’s production version (1.2) in time. Now there’s another hurdle: I’ve accepted a job as App Developer for Windows Phone. Since the whole team consists out of students, my schedule is relatively flexible and there’s not too much pressure with deadlines. Nonetheless I can’t dedicate all my time for my own projects.

This shouldn’t be too much of a problem, though. I’m confident that VisualBug will reach it’s version 1.2 quite soon (I’m aiming for March). Moreover I’ve started development on TKMap again. I won’t do much as long as I don’t got VisualBug integrated but there’s more than enough work to do. The first step was to migrate both projects from SVN to GIT. I had way too many troubles with SVN and in the end I was certain about that move being right. Both are now migrated and upgraded. TKMap was quite dusty after over one year of rest. Nonetheless it started without any errors after all references and components where updated and upgraded to .Net 4.6.

The sad thing about TKMap is the loss of the latest changes. I’ve done some stuff in 2015 but stopped suddenly for whatever reason. I overlooked to commit the changes done. When I had major issues with my hardware I swapped the SSDs in order to eliminate possible sources of failure. I ended up with a new motherboard (and thus a new CPU of the latest generation, +8 GB DDR4 RAM). But for some reason when I switched back to my SSD one of my most important drives got partially overwritten with … obviously nothing. Lots of folders and files disappeared into the void. I managed to restore most of the data but one of the irreversibly lost things was the TKMap solution. Only a handful files were left over.

Meanwhile I overhauled my workflow. Both projects have been migrated successfully to GIT which enables me to develop even without internet connection. I bought JIRA as improvement for planning. It’s difficult to get back into work after months or years of pause when you don’t know what you were onto the last time and what has to be done at the moment. As Atlassian provides a license for up to 10 users for just $10 I bought on the spur of the moment. This is also a step for the future as it’s a lot easier to integrate new developers into the project. Last but not least I’ve set up a regular backup for my development drive so that I won’t have to fear data loss anymore.

Last but not least I’m right amid my exams so I have even fewer time for development. But I’m sure it’ll continue at maximum speed at around mid-February.

Zap
Zap
HTML Snippets Powered By : XYZScripts.com